Capita Healthcare Decisions support over 320 million people globally. They provide the decision management system (DMS) used by NHS 111 service alongside many healthcare companies around the world.
The product enables healthcare providers to create, edit and manage complicated decision making processes and workflows to meet their needs, this includes:
- Contact centre environments: to enable consistent, safe assessment of a patient’s symptoms, and direction to appropriate care
- Pandemic solutions: guiding concerned callers to the right level of care, and giving directions for self-care if appropriate
- Social care: helping decision makers on eligibility and level of support required for a patient or service user
- Online intelligent forms: automate long and difficult paper based assessments
- SMS assessment: triage patients via SMS
- Healthcare apps: deliver health advice and information for patients
Capita were in the position where the system was no longer fit for purpose:
- User training was extensive, taking several weeks
- Changes to the core decision tree were very time-consuming and convoluted
- User errors frequently occurred
- Inability to scale the solution for future innovation and across sectors
As part of the migration from an installed software solution to a web delivered application, Capita Healthcare Decisions saw an opportunity to transform the service experience.
The objectives of the project were to:
- Revolutionise the Decision Management System (DMS) to provide a cutting edge product ready to take advantage of developments in artificial intelligence and machine learning
- Provide an efficient, effective and easy to use solution
- Eliminate the need for user training
- Provide guidance to ensure user errors are prevented
- Provide a future ready platform
We needed to ensure that the user and the business were engaged throughout the process to deliver a solution that would transform the experience and exceeds their expectations.
To transform the experience, we followed a user centred approach to innovate and meet user needs. We collaborated closely with Capita to ensure that the solution would also fully meet business requirements.
We began a ‘deep dive’ discovery phase, identifying the commercial, business realities of service design and delivery at Capita. The UX Agency and Capita worked collaboratively including workshops and meetings at the beginning of the journey. Personas were developed and the existing user journeys were mapped to identify key pain points.
This process enabled us to streamline the design process. From there, we engaged different user types to understand their needs and challenges including patients through to clinicians, content authors and administrators. Consumers in different sectors that interact with decision trees were also engaged to develop opportunities to diversify the offering. Ideation workshops enabled us to identify opportunities to innovate. Through a collaborative approach, we were then able to prioritise the business and user needs to ensure they were aligned. This process allowed us to work through complex issues with confidence when mapping out the vision and strategy with the project team.
From there, we moved into an iterative design approach, developing concepts, journeys and prototypes, testing and refining. User insight helped us to identify areas that were not intuitive or did not fit with their workflow and iterate to optimise the experience.
The next stage of the project plans to use artificial intelligence and machine learning to speed up the decision making process based on known factors.
If you are interested to learn more about our UX Research & Design services then get in touch at email@example.com or call 020 7947 4940.